I know that owning a small beauty business can sometimes make you feel like you are banging your head against the wall.
Here are just a few of the, “oh crap this is hard!” reasons that I have dealt with and I KNOW I am not alone.
- Having a “to do” list that NEVER ends.
- Believing that you have to complete the never-ending to do list all by yourself.
- Having a small (or not-so-small) anxiety attack every time you think about the fact that you (and only you) are responsible for the finances involved with running a biz.
- Feeling invisible because you believe you have to compete with the “big boys” in the marketing and advertising world.
- Convinced that nobody in your world “gets it” because they go to work, and then come home and get to forget about work-related stuff until the next day.
- You have to get up early to create a blog, a newsletter, get to your space early to clean, work all day, drive home and then you still have the spa laundry, bookkeeping and client calls to make.
I think we can all agree that owning a small beauty business is not for the faint of heart.
But here’s the good news…
I am going to remind you of the beautiful parts that make all of your hard work worth it.
- You are your own boss; you call the shots, and you don’t get in trouble – or fired – when you mess up (and we are all human and will have moments of mess up).
- You get to provide the services that speak to your very own beauty biz soul. (Don’t like to wax? Don’t do it. Don’t like eyelash extensions? Don’t offer them. Oxygen Facials light your beauty biz soul on fire? Schedule them all day long! Specific product line aligned with your skin care philosophy? Carry it and sells the be-geez out of it!)
- Working in a beauty biz is an amazing way to spend your day. C’mon, how many people get to spend their days making others look and feel amazing?
- You get some fantastic tax write-offs that 9-5-ers don’t. Ask your CPA about this, and I bet you will be surprised at what you can use as tax deductions.
- You can and should hire others to help you with bookkeeping, laundry, cleaning, and anything else you dread doing, so you can focus on your genius work, making others look and feel beautiful.
- Our trade shows are like Sephora on steroids! You get wholesale pricing, show discounts, and a tax-deductible weekend away in places like Vegas and NYC!
- Your schedule is flexible. You decide how much vacation time you get AND when you take it. 2 weeks or 2 months… your choice! You set your work hours. Work 9am – 5pm, or 2pm – 9pm… your choice! When you are your boss, you can create your schedule around when you feel you “work” best.
- You have the opportunity to deeply connect with your clients… in ways the “big boys” don’t. This ability allows you to save bundles in adverting because your happy customers speak about you – for you!
An Entrepreneur.com article on 5 Business Trends That Will Take Off in 2017 states:
If companies show that they’re personalizing their experiences, rather than just selling something, those actions will build trust, curate the quality of the product, and deliver value. – Jeffrey Hayzlett
As small business owners who provide intimate services, we have a just the right environment to create this higher level of connection that people are craving.
- On the flip side of being solely responsible for the finances of the biz, you also get to reap 100% of the rewards!
- There is a tremendous amount of pride that comes along with building a profitable business and you need to honor – and celebrate – your accomplishments along the way. Even the small ones!
Once you learn to tap into gratitude and recognize your greatness, you start to see your worth and suddenly become super proud of all you do and all you created.
Coaching Tip: When you’re starting to feel overwhelmed with all you have to do, restate what you “have to do” as what you “get to do” instead. It’s a subtle shift that have a big positive impact on how you’re feeling.