There are three (3) F words that will crush your success in a New York minute!
You’re human and can’t avoid these F words from entering your beauty biz lives at some point. In fact, you may find yourself struggling right now with one – or all three – of these biz blocking F words.
So, let’s talk about them.
Many people operate from a place of fear…
- Fear of not having enough
- Fear of not being enough
- Fear of not attracting what you want
- Fear of the hard work associated with achieving success
- Fear of failure
- Fear associated with not knowing where to start
Groupon gives us a great example of how fear can crush success:
FEAR is a big part of how and why Groupon took over the beauty industry in the failing economy – it fed the fear attached to failure.
Groupon provided a false sense of stability.
“Groupon will send you TONS of clients” (this is what those who were fearful heard) — they didn’t think about how it could potentially fill their schedule and deplete their bank account both at the same time.
It’s easy to see how it happened though… Being a beauty biz practitioner and operating from bravery, rather than fear is hard when you’re trying to figure it out on your own.
Here’s the solution: Surround yourself others who support and uplift you, and you will find that fear rarely takes over.
Also, it’s important to make decisions with both the short term AND long-term benefits and effects in mind.
- You feel like a hamster on a wheel – spinning and getting nowhere.
- You’re frustrated because you don’t know how to start fresh.
- You’re frustrated because you “feel” like you have tried everything and you’re still not where you wanted to be.
- You’re frustrated because your schedule is full and you are feeling overworked, under appreciated and you KNOW there has to be a better way.
The problem with frustration is that it leads to poor decision-making.
Here’s an example of how frustration can crush your success:
You wake up REALLY excited for a day full of facials and waxing. You get to work, and four of the five appointments that were on your schedule cancel (last minute)! Sh*t!
You are in a crappy mood when the only client you have arrives, and you blow your chance to retail and rebook because you can’t get over how rude it was that the other customers flaked on you.
Solution: Make a list of your top three beauty biz frustrations and map out how to eliminate them.
If no-shows and last minute cancellation are a frustration, then create and immediately start to implement your policies and procedures.
We freeze when were are distracted.
- Maybe you have A LOT going on in your personal life so you’re always juggling.
- Maybe you’re a perfectionist and nothing ever feels good enough.
- Maybe there are different options and you’re not sure which is the best.
- Maybe you can’t see how an idea would actually work.
…so you freeze and accomplish nothing.
Here’s an example of how freezing can crush your success:
You have been working on the layout of your new website for ten months, but it just doesn’t look/feel like you were hoping… so you FREEZE, say F-it and put it on the back burner – even though you have laid down that $1,000 deposit.
Solution: Know that you need to show up to create success no matter what.
Whether it’s too much going on at home or you just can’t seem to get your project to “the perfect place” to launch you need to stop, breathe and reframe. #unfreeze
Once you have taken a moment to “unfreeze” go to your calendar and mark off the day and time that you will revisit the project that you need to get done.
Know that “done” is quite often better than perfect. You can always tweak things later.
Shifting from freeze mode to forward motion mode requires self-talk, self-discipline and sometimes a good business coach to get you back on track.
So do you feel plagued by any of the “F’s?”
Let me know which one(s) and if you are now feeling more prepared to remove one of the nasty “F” words mentioned.